UPDATE: Jian Ghomeshi charged with sexual assault, released on bail

 Video files from Lindsay Fitzgerald

Jian Ghomeshi has officially been released on $100,000 bail after surrendering to Toronto police this morning.

The former host of CBC Radio’s Q must give up his passport, cannot leave the country and is not allowed to contact any of the alleged victims. He will be living with his mother, who is acting as surety.

Ghomeshi is being charged with four counts of sexual assault and one count of overcome resistance – choking.

The latter charge carries with it the maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

Ghomeshi appeared in court at 1 p.m. in room 509 at College Park. The hearing took about 25 minutes while a large media scrum waited outside.

His lawyer, Marie Henien, said that Ghomeshi would defend the allegations in court. Ghomeshi paused for photos but remained silent as he left the courthouse.

His next court appearance is set for Jan. 8, 2015.

Toronto Police Service Sex Crimes started an investigation into Ghomeshi on Oct. 31, 2014. Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair and the CBC, Ghomeshi’s former employer, have both declined to comment.

Also this morning, alleged victim Lucy DeCoutere issued a statement to the media. The Canadian actress says in the last month there has been a major shift in the conversation about violence against women, writing “this is the start of a change that is desperately needed.”

Although a variety of Canadian media companies broke the story at about 10:37 a.m., Dave Jaffer, a Canadian writer currently living in Denmark, took to Twitter and Reddit with comment at 7:52 a.m.

Following the announcement, people took to Twitter to share their thoughts.

More to come.

Comments are closed.

Read previous post:
Group of RTA students break down gen-Y stereotypes

For generation Y, by generation Y. That’s the Gen Y Perspective, a TV show that airs online covering everything from...