The president of a new Ryerson group focused on harm reduction says she is searching for answers, after being denied affiliate group status from the Ryerson Students’ Union (RSU).
Alannah Fricker founded the Ryerson branch of Canadian Students for Sensible Drug Policy (CSSDP) in spring 2018. CSSDP is a national organization that works with students to influence harm reduction policies, promote drug safety and facilitate conversation around drug policy education. According to its website there are 18 branches on university campuses across Canada.
Ryerson’s women’s hockey team has landed its first ever international student-athlete.
Ye Eun Park will be on the blueline for the Rams when their season begins in October. Park brings tons of experience to Ryerson—most notably with her time representing Korea at the Pyeongchang Olympics.
However, this isn’t Park’s first time playing hockey in Canada. In 2014, the Korean Ice Hockey Association sent South Korean players to Canada to help them improve their skills. Park was one of them. She attended the Ontario Hockey Academy near Ottawa, before heading to the University of P.E.I.
After her first year of university, the Korean national team wanted Park to return to South Korea to practise ahead of the 2018 Olympic Games in Pyeongchang.
But, the team didn’t look the same as usual. Going into the Olympics, South Korea and North Korea unexpectedly unified to form one Korean national team.
“… It was unexpected. We only found out we were going to play as a unified team a month before the Olympics, so that time was kind of tough for me and for my teammates,” said Park, who is majoring in psychology at Ryerson.
As a unified team, both countries had to get a certain amount of playing time. This meant that some of the South Korean…
POLITICS & SECURITY
- Marketing course union exec causes controversy over Rye’s safe space policy
- Safe spaces debate: where do they fit at Ryerson?
- UPDATE: RSU embroiled in controversy after firing a new mother on parental leave and her temporary replacement
- RSU: Men’s issues group rejected over safety concerns
- Nursing students struggle to balance unpaid hospital placements with paid jobs
- RSU rejects men’s issues group application
- UPDATED: Sociology instructor allegedly slams student for rejecting the concept of a gender wage gap
- Lachemi backs proposed Ryerson law school